Healthcare data is one of the most desirable forms of data for cyber criminals to steal because its value on the cyber black market — the Dark Web — is much higher than most other forms of data. While there are several reasons for this, the recent study Your Life, Repackaged and Resold: The Deep Web Exploitation of Health Sector Breach Victims, concluded that healthcare data is ten times more valuable than financial data. The study listed the following key reasons:
- Healthcare data has more uses than financial data
- Healthcare fraud is more difficult to track
- Victims can easily cancel a credit card
- It is much more difficult to change a Social Security number
- It is nearly impossible to change all of a person’s electronic health records
Shawn Tuma (@shawnetuma) is a business lawyer with an internationally recognized reputation in cybersecurity, computer fraud and data privacy law. He is a Cybersecurity & Data Privacy Partner at Scheef & Stone, LLP, a full-service commercial law firm in Texas that represents businesses of all sizes throughout the United States and, through its Mackrell International network, around the world.
You must log in to post a comment.