The hallmark of my practice is to be a trusted adviser to my clients by giving them unbiased advice and guiding them so that they can make the best decisions possible, for themselves and their businesses, even if it means less work for me in the short term. My Christian faith and my own sense of personal integrity demands nothing less.
I am an innovative experienced attorney who, in addition to my career-long business law and litigation practice, has developed a niche practice of digital information law that has grown from the Dallas, Texas area to a national level by helping businesses and individuals assess, avoid, and resolve problems with intellectual property issues such as trade secrets and unfair competition as well as emerging issues such as computer fraud, data breach, privacy, and social media legal issues with a strong emphasis on the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. I generally refer to this combined practice as digital information law or business cyber risk prevention.
I am fortunate to have the judgment, intensity, and creativity needed to best serve my clients by helping them achieve their strategic business objectives that are defined by the unique needs of each client and matter. My clients’ interests are my paramount concern and achieving their objectives in the most efficient and expeditious way possible is always a top priority. Integrity, excellence, creativity, and intensity best describe me. Because of my respect for this sacred trust, I am honored to also serve as outside general counsel to several small to midsize companies who need an adviser they can trust and depend on.
I have extensive experience advising and guiding clients through state and federal court matters involving highly complex technology, commercial, and intellectual property legal issues such as computer fraud, data security and breach, privacy, social media law and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as well as traditional fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, business disparagement, tortious interference, breach of contract, intellectual property issues, unfair competition, non-competition, misappropriation and theft of trade secrets, and professional liability claims.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- 2015 Texas Super Lawyers (Intellectual Property Litigation)
- 2014 & 2015 Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine (1 of 5 lawyers selected for Digital Information Law)
- Chair, Civil Litigation & Appellate Law Section of the Collin County Bar Association
- Council, Computer & Technology Section of the State Bar of Texas
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Privacy and Data Security Committee of the State Bar of Texas
- Computer & Technology, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Business Sections of the State Bar of Texas
- Information Security Committee of the Section on Science & Technology Committee of the American Bar Association
- Social Media Committee of the American Bar Association
- North Texas Crime Commission, Cybercrime Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Law Chair, Regent University Alumni Board
- Scribes Society of Legal Writers
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (pro hac vice)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina (pro hac vice)
I earned my Juris Doctrate degree from the best law school anyone could ever imagine, Regent University School of Law, a Christian university where we learned the law through it’s true origins. I graduated Summa Cum Laude and had the privilege of serving as Editor-in-Chief of the Regent University Law Review. My greatest honor, however, was being selected by the Administration and Faculty as the Outstanding Graduate in the School of Law.
After a few years of learning “life lessons” in college, I earned my undergraduate degree in 1993 from Northwestern State University, with honors, which would come a quite a surprise to anyone who witnessed my, shall we say, slow start!
The University of Hard Knocks — the best education a person can ever get!